Saturday, February 09, 2008

3.14.1982

To all those I adore,

So yeah my birthday is coming up. Most of you won't even think to get me anything and that is fine I probably do not expect you to so no worries. So this blog concerns those that do want to get me something for my birthday. So here is my list.

- A new bike...I know fat chance but oh well thought I would try.
- A house.
- A new car.

So now here is the realistic list.

Books:
- Born Standing Up by Steve Martin, this guy is effing funny incase you did not know that already.
- The Aeneid by Virgil, translated by Robert Fagles, this detail I am particular about I really like this guy's mad translating skills and want this particular one.
- The Odyssey by Homer, once again translated by Robert Fagles, this I am particular about.
- Beowulf...not the movie book, but the poem.
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu the barnes and nobles classic one.
- Paradise Lost by John Milton.
- Some Walt Whitman, maybe like a complete poems book or something.
- Aseops Fables, translator doesn't matter too much.
- Troy: The Fall of Kings by David Gemmel (I am actually waiting for the paper back edition to come out but if you feel like blowing $25 on this book for me feel free to).

Movies:
- Spiderman 3
- The Jerk
- Robin Williams Live at the Met & Ane Evening with Robin Williams Stand-up

Music:
- Against Me! album Reinventing Axl Rose
- Against Me! album As the Eternal Cowboy
- Against Me! album Searching for a Formal Clarity

Pictures:
- Of you.
- Of me.
- Of us.
- Of us with some other people.
- Of you with some other people.
- Of me with some other people.

Well that is about all I can think of for now so yeah enjoy.

Love and kisses,
~Rick

To leave you with a quote:
"I celebrate myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you."
~Walt Whitman

2 comments:

Robert M Peachey said...

Hey, congratulations on the (potential) house! And the birthday!

Oh yeah...you have my copy of the Fagles Iliad! Remember I lent it to you a while back? I was just at my house a day ago, and I saw I only had the Odyssey, and I wanted to bring it back with the Iliad, but I remembered you had it. Well, keep it until we meet again...and I will buy you your own!

By the way, you really ought to get the Complete Whitman Prose and Poetry from the American Heritage Library. It really is amazingly good. There is the original Leaves of Grass along with the "death bed" version, the last one he authorized, as well as all of his prose works, including Specimen Days, where he meets Emerson and the like. Really, really amazing. The Leaves of Grass, though, you really ought to read that all the way through. The experience, I confess, is a lot like flying, like seeing everything in the universe at once, without judgment, just acceptance. If you haven't read much Whitman, get ready to have your mind thoroughly blown. I was walking around Chicago last spring, after my grandfather's funeral, and reading Whitman was a great comfort to me. You will feel such a joy.

Oh, and there is a good translation of the Aeneid by Fagles. I read the Mandelbaum in college. It was all right, but then again, I was reading it in Latin. Whoah, big snob alert there, sorry.

I'm re-reading Dante right now, you should check that too.

--peach

Robert M Peachey said...

btw, you can also borrow my beowulf some day. I re-read it on the train ride home last night, up until he kills grendel. it is the heaney translation, much better than the one we read in gordon's class, and there is the original on the facing page.

my dante translation is hollander, btw, it is excellent.

--peach